1 in 5 Aussie kids are living in poverty and 15% of children live in families where nobody has a job. Children are facing more and more challenges to their development. We provide critical support to these vulnerable families.Through the delivery of outreach and case management family support to vulnerable and disadvantaged families in North-West Tasmania, you will build family capacity in a family partnership service model, using strengths-based and family-centred approaches.
Save the Children is no ordinary not-for-profit.
We’re ambitious, creative and outspoken. We stand up for children’s rights. We want all children to be educated, healthy and live a life free from violence. We run programs in Australia and overseas and, if there’s a disaster - like an earthquake, drought or conflict – we are there on the ground.
Where you come in:
In these casual positions, you will deliver support to parents in their homes across North-West Tasmania. The Intensive Family Engagement Service aims to provide intensive family support services to families at significant risk of entering the statutory Child Safety Service (CSS) system.
The Intensive Family Support Worker will engage assertively and work intensively with the family and other key stakeholders including CSS, to overcome personal and/or environmental barriers to children’s safety and build the strength, capacity and protections required for families to provide a consistent, safe, and nurturing home environment for their children. You will be based in Devonport and report to our Intensive Family Engagement Service programs Team Leader.
You will make an impact by:
- Building family capacity by providing evidence-based parenting education programs
- Working as part of a team providing parenting support in a family partnership service model
- Building and maintaining strong networks, service delivery partnerships, and effective referral pathways
- Providing evidence-based parenting information and education material
If we could compose the perfect you…
… You are truly passionate about standing up for children. Your experience in case management roles and ability to think on your feet will see you find solutions to complex situations. Your cultural knowledge will help you build strong connections with people from a variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. You have empathy, a ‘can-do attitude’ and most importantly, an infectious enthusiasm for your job.
This role requires:
- Formal tertiary qualifications in Social Work, Health or allied areas (Diploma as minimum requirement)
- Demonstrated experience working alongside families using partnership, strengths-based and family-centred approaches
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and families
- Understanding of the importance of the “early years” and the impact of trauma on child development
Working at Save the Children is more than just a job.
It’s the feeling of knowing that your work is contributing to making the world a better place for children and working with others who feel the same. In addition to a connection to social causes, you will have access to:
- Internal employment and development opportunities
- Friendly and flexible work environment
- Award rate salary
We’d love to hear from you. Submit your cover letter and resume by clicking on one of the buttons in the ‘Apply’ section.
Applications close on Monday 25th November 2019.
Position description – Intensive Family Support Worker (IFES)
At Save the Children, we seek a workforce that is as diverse as our society – in race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexuality, cultures and beliefs – and reflects the communities we work in. We believe diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our culture and core values and we demonstrate this commitment through all our employment practices. Our inclusive workplace culture contributes to making Save the Children a great place to work.
Save the Children Australia is a child-safe organisation. All employees are required to undergo a National Police Check, a Working with Children Check where necessary, and sign our Child Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct.