Analyst/financial Analyst (Vpsg4)
Department of Treasury and Finance
The Department of Treasury and Finance provides economic, financial and resource management advice to help the Victorian Government deliver its policies. We strive for excellence in financial and economic management to improve the lives of all Victorians. In addition, we are committed to supporting Aboriginal pathways between education and employment. The Department strives to create an environment that supports a flexible and adaptive workforce.
The Portfolio Analysis Group (PA) provides advice on resource allocation to the Treasurer. The PA Group is the first point of contact with DTF for all departments in relation to budget submissions, finance issues and performance reporting. PA provides expertise on policy and programs and monitors departmental performance and promotes sound financial management of the state's fiscal resources more broadly. PA provides advice to departments on financial management and undertakes financial analysis and reporting to support decision making.
About the role
4x VPS4 Analyst/Financial Analysts – ongoing
This role plays a key part in contributing to policy formulation and development of budget and financial analysis and advice, contributing to the compilation of relevant financial and performance reports and guiding departments in the application of budget policy. Reporting to a team Director, the successful candidate(s) will be responsible for:
- Providing innovative budget, policy and financial management analysis and advice on a variety of whole of government issues
- Applying strong knowledge of accounting and finance to provide advice on financial impacts of government decisions
- Undertaking financial analysis and interpreting financial statements to identify financial impacts and extract greater detail or understanding
- Assisting with the planning and coordination of briefings and other financial and policy inputs to decision making for the annual State budget, budget update and other publications
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with key stakeholders both internal and external to the department
- Proactively seeking solutions to issues that arise in a fast-paced environment and delivering outcomes in a responsive manner.
The role requires someone with the ability to think critically, constructively challenge processes and identify opportunities for improvement and assist with the management of processes to meet strict timelines. The successful candidate for this role will:
- 2-3 years of experience working in a similar position
- Have proven relationship management and polished written and verbal communication skills
- Possess strong analytical, and technical skills
- Have experience in policy analysis and/or the analysis of financial management issues, including monitoring and assessing financial and/or service delivery performance.
- Personal resilience, flexibility and a passion for working in a team environment
Experience in portfolio issues across government such as health, human services, justice, education, transport, economic development and environment would be viewed favourably.
A relevant accounting, financial, economic or public policy qualification would be highly regarded.
About our culture
We aim to be a model employer providing an inclusive workplace that is understanding and respectful of differences such as gender, identity, race, disability or age. All requests for flexible working arrangements will be considered in line with operational requirements.
How to apply
For more information about the position and key selection criteria, please refer to the position description. If you have specific questions regarding the role, please contact Jessica on email@example.com.
To apply, select the ‘Apply Now' button and provide a copy of your resume and cover letter summarising your skills and relevant experience.
Applications close midnight 26 April 2021
If you require a copy of this advertisement in an accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: