Head Of Production And Operations, Bbc Studios Australia
Head of Production and Operations, BBC Studios Australia
Job Reference: BBC/TP/2050309/52850
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Fixed Term – Full Time
Contract Details: 12 Months FTC
Working Hours: 37.5
Job Category: Production Management
BBC Region / Division:
BBC Business Unit: Content - Television Productions
Location: SydneyPackage Description
Role: Head of Production and Operations, BBC Studios Australia
Contract type: Fixed Term - 12 Months
Location: Sydney, Australia
The Head of Production is an essential and leading role that is responsible for driving the implementation of production strategies and leading and developing a first class production set-up. In addition to Production Management and Operations this role will play a central role in devising and delivering the business and commercial plan for the Australian Production business.
This role will be accountable for all operations of BBC Studios Production in Australia and will require strong management and leadership capability, as well as being responsible for budgets, forecasting and margin.
The role will be immediately responsible for a AUS$20 million business with strong growth ambition. The ideal candidate will have at least 10-15 years experience in a multi-genre production management and deal negotiation.Main Responsibilities
- Joint Accountability alongside Creative Director for effective running of and management of P+L for Australian Production business maximising both revenues and profits.
- To be the lead negotiator once interest is secured liaising closely with Business and Legal Affairs and Finance on the ground to close both commissioning and relevant production related deals once greenlights secured for production.
- Contributes to the development of operational and financial strategy linked to the production area’s long-term multi-platform content strategy, highlighting and mitigating areas of risk.
- Accountable for the commercial, operational and Financial plans for Australian Production business highlighting, balancing and mitigating areas of risk
- Ensures commissioning requirements are fully understood in order to develop viable proposals, and that the price of each commission is agreed and that complete delivery is feasible within the proposed timeframe.
- Accountable for authorising the start of productions, ensuring resources and editorial aspirations are aligned.
- Accountable for consistency of approach in scheduling, budgeting and managing productions throughout the production area in line with relevant BBC frameworks and requirements.
- Responsible for planning and managing capacity (resources and people) in line with strategic objectives and commissions.
- Accountable for resolving key operational and financial issues commensurate with the role.
- Accountable for decisions required to manage the financial and operational performance of the production area based on expert knowledge and financial information.
- Pro-active role in business planning and financial forecasting for the production area, often in direct co-ordination with central functions in London.
- Responsible for the strategic allocation of funding and, where necessary approving, setting, reviewing and monitoring budgets.
- Accountable for ensuring an understanding of - and compliance with – BBC Studios policies, guidelines, legislative and regulatory requirements (with particular emphasis on Health & Safety and Editorial Policy) in order to minimise the BBC’s exposure to risk.
- Lead on BBC Studios production sustainability initiatives where they relate to production management in the Genre, and support their implementation across the business area.
- Accountable for ensuring the price of each commission is agreed with commissioners and that complete delivery is feasible within the proposed timeframe and budget.
- Identify opportunities for commercial exploitation at an early stage and ensure the requirements of commercial investors are achievable. Accountable for highlighting any public service issues relating to commercial exploitation of content.
- Insurance - Oversee Insurance requirements for BBCS and all Productions
Plan and manage finances within Business Area:
- Responsible for the strategic allocation of funding and - where necessary – approving, setting, reviewing and monitoring development and production budgets in conjunction with the Creative Lead.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate financial support is provided by Finance on high financial risk/complex productions and/or across a portfolio of productions.
- Assessing the financial viability of content ideas, identifying and mitigating any risks.
- Responsible for integrating safety and risk management into the production processes and advising on safety and risk issues.
- Establishes and oversees plans for business continuity and disaster recovery in the production area, ensuring links with the overall plans for each division.
- To lead and define a clear vision for a diverse production team, identifying training and development needs of direct reports and ensuring that performance management arrangements are in place.
- Considerable experience of production and production management across a range of output or genres and/or managing a significant portfolio of productions.
- Significant knowledge of end-to-end multi-platform production with a level of technical understanding to ensure the most efficient production of content.
- Advanced project management skills. Proven experience of delivering portfolios of projects including complex projects; experience of trouble-shooting key projects.
- First-class industry links to freelancer market and technical service providers, in order to staff up projects at short notice and oversee their execution at the highest level of quality control.
- Experience of forward planning and operational and long term management of people and resources to meet demanding production requirements.
- Experience and detailed knowledge of local labour laws and regulations to ensure productions are carried out within legislative frameworks.
- Strong negotiating skills, able to influence, manage and negotiate deals and contracts with thorough knowledge of the market for various types of supplier and resources.
- Able to influence the use of production systems and to deploy new technologies on productions.
- Thorough knowledge of commissioning and green light procedures in order to lead and manage the processes for the area, ensuring resources and editorial aspirations are aligned.
- Experience of leading, developing and motivating teams across a range of output. Demonstrable experience of leading and driving significant change in a complex environment and of implementing strategy and contributing to its development.
- Sound business and finance skills. Able to suggest feasible options for maximising value from productions. Experience of managing co-productions and/or complex rights and funding models.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Considerable experience of managing and monitoring Health & Safety, supported by recognised formal Health & Safety training (including Risk Assessment).
- Extensive knowledge (or ability to gain) of BBC Values, policies, procedures and guidelines, including Health & Safety and Editorial Guidelines.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the BBC and the wider industry.
- Creating and maintaining a genre culture that enables staff to produce their best work
- Make ‘people management’ a key priority for leaders, with two way feedback, managed career progression, and meaningful appraisal processes.
- Be accountable for ensuring staff issues are addressed in a timely manner in line with BBC policies.
- Ensure successors are identified or plans are in place for critical roles across the business area.
- Be a role model for diversity encouraging a collaborative, equitable and open culture where everyone has equal opportunities.
- Ensures adequate training, development and performance management arrangements are in place in line with BBC guidelines and policies.
- Report to the Director of Production Australia and responsible for a substantial area of output.
- Expected to maintain a wide range of internal contacts from Divisional Directors and Senior Managers to junior members of staff from across the BBCS.
- Typical external relationships will be with resource providers, commercial partners, broadcasters, talent and their agents and in some circumstances with regulatory authorities.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: