Head Of Smart City Incubator
City of Melbourne
Location Council House 1, 200 Little Collins Street
Permanent or Senior Officer Contract
Salary commencing from $141,366 Total Employment Package
We are the City of Melbourne, a place to be bold and inspirational.
We are rapidly transforming to meet the evolving challenges faced by a global city. With a vision of being a leading organisation for a leading capital city, our mission is to create positive impact for our community. Each day, we work with passion and purpose so that together we achieve incredible things.
Together we Make the Difference
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
Our Technology and Digital Innovation (TDI) Branch is currently on an exciting customer-led journey to move to a “platform and adaptive ways of working” approach and transform its operating model. This new way of working is to support City of Melbourne (CoM) realise the full value of its technology assets, deliver modern digital tools for our staff and community, empower staff and community to make evidence-based decisions, and prepare CoM and Melbourne to benefit from digital disruption.
As the Head of Smart City Incubator and a member of the TDI Leadership Team, you will define and drive the adoption and usage of emerging digital and data solutions across CoM by applying experimental innovative standards. Acting as a Product Owner you will be responsible for allocating innovation funding to run TDI experiments that trial emerging technologies in alignment with CoM, Finance and Corporate and TDI strategies; and develop and validate proofs-of-concepts (POC) including testing of technology feasibility, commercial viability, customer desirability, and ultimately the adoption of IOT and emerging technologies across all relevant CoM branches.
You will actively promote and provide an environment that other TDI teams and wider CoM can use to help facilitate rapid innovation and testing of new ideas, bringing together a cross section of capability from TDI, external vendors, universities, customers and businesses.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence.
- A tertiary qualification in business, innovation, technology or management.
- Expertise in innovation tools and techniques, including experimentation, prototyping and pilots with emerging technologies, and supporting or leading the transition to business-as-usual applications.
- Experience with design thinking and human-centred design (HCD) with certification (desirable).
- Proven and significant experience leading teams in an agile environment with certification (desirable).
- Proven experience in providing high level advice on issues related to innovation and emerging technology.
- Demonstrable experience in the planning and management of an innovative IT program, delivering multiple projects through a team of project managers, business analysts and other specialised staff.
- Highly developed communication skills (written and verbal) including facilitation of meetings and workshops.
- Highly experienced in project and change management across stakeholder groups with the ability to engage and influence at all levels.
- Familiarity with commercial principles to ensure experiments and solutions are viable and economically sustainable, to underpin CoM strategy and sustain the organisations financials.
- Sound knowledge of market trends and competition with the ability to manage different aspects of procurement including, tenders, contract negotiations and performance management.
- Strong customer relationship management skills including experience in continuous engagement of the customer to validate ideas and help solutions gain traction.
By joining us, you will become part of a remarkable team who work in a constructive and inclusive culture to shape the future of this city. Together, we champion difference, celebrate achievement and recognise positive impact.
To view the position description and physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information. How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter (no more than one page)
- respond to the following application questions, which will appear as part of the application form:
Please address your covering letter to Michelle Fitzgerald, Director Technology and Digital Innovation.
Applications will be accepted up until 11:45pm Sunday 18 April 2021.
For those interested in working with us , the City of Melbourne offers a great range of benefits.
City of Melbourne is proud to be a workplace that champions diversity. Our commitment is for our people to be safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from people regardless of their gender identity and expression, ethnicity, cultural background, sexual orientation, disability and age. We look for the right values, skills and knowledge to build our capabilities so that we can best deliver for our community.
Closing Date 18/04/2021
Position Information Inherent Physical Requirements profile - Type 2.pdf Open TDI_PD_HEAD_OF_SMART_CITY_INCUBATOR__SCI_.pdf Open
Please note that this position will close at 11:45pm (AEDT) on the closing date.
Please ensure your application is added before this time as we do not accept late applications.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: